Friday, March 8, 2013

Beautiful Mind...


I photographed this road sign on one of our many travels to Bluefield, West Virginia (a town about 35 miles north-east of where we currently live) which is recognized as the birthplace of John Forbes Nash, Jr.   Or in his own words, "My beginning as a legally recognized individual occurred on June 13 1928 in Bluefield, West Virginia, in the Bluefield Sanitarium, a hospital that no longer exists."  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forbes_Nash,_Jr.)

Anyone who saw the movie Beautiful Mind will recognize the name of John Nash.  Anyone who knows our family well understands why this movie and this person is so endeared to my heart.  When I first saw the movie, I thought I had cried my life-time quota of tears that comes from the pain of mental illness. But alas! Not true.  I feel a kinship to this community. One more reason I feel so at home in these mountains.  I love the hills, I love the trees, the flowers, the thunder that echos through the mountains.... but most of all, it is the people and their life stories of survival that has captured my heart.  I am forever changed....forever enriched...forever blessed, for the experience of living in Southwest Virginia these past 18 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment