Thursday, March 14, 2013

How to be a Southern Belle, Part II

Lest I forget...more Southern Belle trivia...

1.  Appearance is everything

Southern Belles are known for their beauty and graciousness, however, they do know how work.  They "Look like a cream puff and get things done like a Sherman tank!" ~Maryln Schwartz

2.  Matching is important:
  • Bridesmaids shoes must match the color of the punch
  • A tomato slice must be the same size as the slice of bread
  • Napkin rings and bath linens are both monogrammed
3.  Being dead is no excuse

This is actually the title of a book written by Gayden Metcalfe and Charotte Hays that instructs on hosting the perfect funeral.  It includes not only a collection of favorite Southern recipes, but tells how to write a glowing obituary and the etiquette of a proper sympathy note.  Attention to detail is vital!
(And yes, I have my own hardback copy!)

4.  Mayonnaise is best home made

I learned to make this in our Branch Relief Society meeting last night,  It was yummy...and would make a great salad dressing or fried chicken dipping sauce.

WISK following ingredients together and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture bubbles in 1 or 2 places.  Remove from heat immediately and let cool 4 minutes:

2 egg yolks
2 T. fresh lemon juice or vinegar
2 T. water
1 t. sugar
1 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. salt
dash of pepper

1 cup oil (Suzanne--a true Southern Belle-- used Sunflower oil, but it could be olive or safflower)

ADD oil slowly, in a thin stream, blend until mayonnaise is thick and smooth.  Refrigerate...covered.

Needless to say, I have LOVED living in Southwest Virginia these past 18 months.  I will miss the mountains, the trees, the flowers, the birds, the rolling thunder, the roller-coaster roads, but most of all-- the people.  I have been blessed with eternal friendships and hope to return many times.  I'm not sure my farm girls ways could ever be changed into a true Southern Belle, but I feel I could blend in very easily as a Mountain Woman. 


1 comment:

  1. Kudos to all the southern belles that can live by these rules. I couldn't do it! :)

    ReplyDelete